I'll run away with your footsteps, I'll build a city that dreams for two And if you lose yourself I will find you..
____________________________________________________________________

Monday, October 5, 2009

What's in the name..


Jonas.. It has been my name for as long as I can remember. It's what my parents gave me.. (more like labelled) for the past 16-something years. It has brought me perks and disadvantages.

Every time I meet some people on the road, in a party, or in a club.. “Hi. I am Jonas.” They would usually go like: “Wow. Really? Jonas Brother!” It attracts unwanted attention, and sometimes it gets troublesome. At first I was not cool with it, but as time pass by I got used to it. I can count the people in my hand that didn’t saw me that way in their 1st impression. It can be an icebreaker or cool points when introducing myself.

I got really annoyed quite recently with the fact that I share my name with other people. My friends would go tell me: “Wow. I met someone in my school, his name is Jonas too,” I accounted similar encounters like 2-3 times. I would just joke: “This town has one too many Jonases..”. And freshmen year, I got to know a batch mate who’s a Jonas too. So the whole school had labelled us as the Jonas Brothers. Sometimes people see me as the much cooler one and top out better than the other because he’s gullible and geekier. And I would get to tease him for it. Besides Jonas is my one and only name while he got Jonas as a second name.

Years ago my Mother started one of the very first Drugstores in Taytay, Rizal.. So it got well-known and the people who ran it (with yours truly). Fun fact is, until today when I walk around town may it be day or night people still recognize me. “Hi. You’re Jonas right? The kid from Guadalupe Pharmacy? Wow.. You’re all grown up.”

One major disadvantage is with the face that goes with it. A lot of people say that my face is quite recognizable. Though I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not but mostly I take it as a compliment. Thus result; I am walking in a cool afternoon in the city. Some people would go up to me and say: “Oh. Hi Jonas. Fancy seeing you here.” I would panic for a sec, I don’t remember the person’s name. So I usually go with acknowledging him or her with a nod and a simple “Hey.” Then go about my business. Perk, it’s more of a 5-minute fame and get to know a lot of real people. Disadvantage, when I screw up they would tend to remember and spread it like wild fire. The last time a gossip bomb dropped, it was not a pretty sight.

The name bears the weight of the lyrics: “Live to party blah blah blah”. Usually I am that guy, but sometimes I am not. It’s hard to live up to society’s expectations. Acting up to what people think who you are. Sometimes you would just get caught up in it that you yourself would wonder: “Who am I gonna be?” I love the advantages of my best of both world thing going on, but sometimes it’s exhausting and hardest is the currency: As I gain new friendships, I also lose some old ones.

“Embrace your awesomeness.” My very compelling optimist of a friend used to say to me. We we’re on an open mic night, so we went for it. We just sung and for me were quite trembling to be there on stage in front of people. But afterwards, wow.. The audience’s applause was satisfying and inspiring. Just want to make me remember my childhood dream. (Be in a cool band and change the world thingy). All I know is: Music is in my soul, I can hear it everyday, every night.. It’s the one thing n my mind. I just want to play my music.

~ Yeap. From the looks of this (whatever you will call this thing I’ve been typing down) my head is a mess and my thoughts are disarranged. Right now been figuring out things, figuring out life. And trying to get there you know. (where you may ask) I’ll tell you when I get there..

1 comments:

Samantha Coronado said...

yown. i like blogs like these. personal!

Post a Comment